Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

TRIBUTE IN MEMORY OF MY FATHER IN-LAW

“God has a purpose to our heartache. The savior always knows what’s best. We learn so many precious lessons in every sorrow, trial and test”- (JARVIS)


I cannot even begin to express how truly blessed I feel to have had him as a father-in-law. I loved and respected him immeasurably and he did same.

Although a man of few words, strong, and a disciplinarian, my father-in-law was one of the kindest and “gentlest” men I have ever known in my entire life. In a world defined by greed and chaos, he lived his life simply and honorably. Nothing gave him more pleasure in this world than his God, his family and his work.

Daddy, I vividly recall times we spent together discussing social issues and football. Discussing about your work and travel, you talked about your travel to thirty-two countries worldwide. You had more to share but I had to go. If only I knew there wouldn’t be a time to continue that conversation, I would have waited to hear it all.

Daddy, I also recall the last moment your daughter (my wife) and I spent with you five days before your sudden departure. It was a cool late afternoon bible discussion. We discussed God’s love even in punishment. You concluded the session saying though God gave us conventional wisdom to use, yet it could only take us some far. When it comes to the things of God, we can only understand and accept but by faith because then, our conventional wisdom becomes limited. Little did I know that this wonderful father- children fellowship was your way of preparing us to receive by faith the news of your sad departure to your maker. Indeed, it makes sense to me now that I cannot understand your call back home but to accept it by faith, as you rightly said.

Sadly, moments to your death were filled with pain. Although you could hear us, you could hardly communicate with us or move. Yet, the only stimuli that you ever aggressively wanted to react to was the soothing voice of your wife each time she came by your bed side. It was the last act of a dying man. You used every remaining ounce of strength in your dying body. It was one of the most beautiful and touching moments I've ever witnessed in my entire life and I will never forget it for as long as I live. Just writing about it here brings me to tears.

You again stressed on the three key elements that is central to man’s life; reverence for God, love and respect for wife and family and dedication to work. Thank you! I will miss your traditional new year family get-togethers. They were not really get-togethers; they were events… wonderful memories.

Though I am tormented by grief and saddened by your departure, I know you're finally at peace and with your maker. I look forward to seeing you again someday on the other side- I am smiling in between my tears.

I love you but Jesus loves you best!

Daddy, fare thee well!

No comments:

Post a Comment